Networked hard drive

I've bought a drive with usb and network connection.  I used the usb to
quickly transfer a large quantity of data, but intended putting it onto the
network after that.  The blurb on the box said it would just pick an ip by
dhcp.  However, it seems to me that I need to know something about it in
order to mount it, and I've got a total blank on where to go next.  Nothing
appears in /var/log/messages.

I've told the router to reserve an address for it and made an entry
in /etc/hosts.  Since I can't see any sign of it being recognised I haven't a
clue how to mount it.  Any ideas?

Anne