Re: Networked hard drive

On 3/15/07, Anne Wilson <cannewilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've bought a drive with usb and network connection.  I used the usb to
quickly transfer a large quantity of data, but intended putting it onto the
network after that.  The blurb on the box said it would just pick an ip by
dhcp.  However, it seems to me that I need to know something about it in
order to mount it, and I've got a total blank on where to go next.  Nothing
appears in /var/log/messages.

I've told the router to reserve an address for it and made an entry
in /etc/hosts.  Since I can't see any sign of it being recognised I haven't a
clue how to mount it.  Any ideas?

I'm certain you'll get answers from folks with more direct experience
in this sort of thing than I, but I'll toss my $.02 just so you can
start looking around in the mean time.

Given the market share of Windows PC's, your hard drive is probably
advertising itself as a Windows share of some sort.  There are
probably LInux based tools to "browse" the windows network and to
attach to your hard drive -- they may even be integrated into
Gnome/KDE at this point.

As a last ditch effort, you could turn on a packet sniffer (assuming
that the drive and your sniffer are on the same ethernet segment and
not separated by a switch) and look for the SMB advertisement blocks.

--wpd