Re: UPS Connections and use (FC2)

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Mogens Kjaer wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Can you give me any reason why one would want to have extended
conversations with an UPS if the only real option is to shut
down anyway?

Modern UPSes do a lot of selftests, especially on the
battery, so it is important to get a notification when
the battery needs to be replaced.

I have found that "smart" UPSs can provide you with other handy
information as well. I like being able to find the charge level of
hte battery, how much power the system is drawing, and things of
that nature. If the UPS also does AVR, it can be handy to know how
often it has to supplement or reduce line voltage. And while the
calibration is not as good as I would like, they can also be used to
record line voltage that can provide clues to other voltage related
problems you may experience. (It can save you from having to attach
a recording volt meter.)

Hmm. I don't want to use my computer as a voltmeter, nor as a line
condition monitor. The only action one seemingly can take is to
shut down when a power failure occurs. What are you going to do
with this information? Complain to your power company? They don't
guarantee any degree of quality of service. They only guarantee
not to charge you for electricity you don't use.

Getting an indication that the battery needs replacement might be
useful, but I doubt it, since I doubt the accuracy of the measurement.
I'd rather just time how long it takes to run down once a year. That
would at least be accurate, if damaging to the health of the battery.

None of the rest sounds useful to me in the slightest.

Let's not make this a debate?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.