Re: UPS Connections and use (FC2)

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>> Can you give me any reason why one would want to have extended
>> conversations with an UPS if the only real option is to shut
>> down anyway?
>
> Modern UPSes do a lot of selftests, especially on the
> battery, so it is important to get a notification when
> the battery needs to be replaced.

I have found that "smart" UPSs can provide you with other handy
information as well. I like being able to find the charge level of
hte battery, how much power the system is drawing, and things of
that nature. If the UPS also does AVR, it can be handy to know how
often it has to supplement or reduce line voltage. And while the
calibration is not as good as I would like, they can also be used to
record line voltage that can provide clues to other voltage related
problems you may experience. (It can save you from having to attach
a recording volt meter.)

Mikkel