Re: UPS Connections and use (FC2)

Craig White wrote:
On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 22:02 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:

I have a UPS which has faithfully served me for a couple of years,
but which I have never tried to control until today. I installed
the Linux software which was downloadable from the website, but
am not satisfied with the level of control afforded me. Essentially,
the software can log an event, play back the log, and wait
some specified period of time (30 sec. default) before initiating
a shutdown.

What I would like to have happen is this:

[snip]

Is it likely that I need a special (APC compatible) cable?

Would someone please help me to configure my machine?

----
APC - you really need to use an APC cable

Are you sure? This is not an APC UPS. I suppose I could try making
up a cable, and then seeing if I get more comms using their software.

are you using apc's software or apcupsd? (I heavily recommend apcupsd
for apc brand units, but again, you always should use the cable that
comes with the unit)

No, I'm using the software downloaded from the manufacturer's website,
which is not very configurable. All it can do is shutdown, end of
story. At least, that's what they say. It might be that they simply
send a signal to init, in which case it'll do what I put in the
powerfail script. I don't have source, so it's hard to know just
what is going on, doncha see.

Another issue entirely is that of whether I can get a desktop to
suspend to disc. If not, and all I can really do is shutdown anyway,
then there are simpler ways of doing all this, and I can discard
their software as well.

But, I need to know what the input signals are that correspond to
MS' UPS setup as listed in my former message.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.