Re: Digital display with NVidia card?

On 3/6/07, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
>> Both are attached.
>
> OK, will take a look at them in a bit.  It is AM here and just getting
> started.  Although Lonni is on it.  :-)
>
>>> nvidia-xconfig in run level 3 and use the xorg.conf it generated?
>>>
>>> I believe that you are able to get the login prompt at level 3, right?
>>
>> No, I see no display of virtual consoles.  I did run system-config-display
>> and nvidia-settings .  I can try nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-config-display
>> from runlevel 5 later.
>
> Sorry, just want to reconfirm a couple of things.
>
> 1.  When your system is first powered on, the monitor comes out of standby
> mode and you do see the system's BIOS screens and if you wanted to you could
> go into the BIOS settings displays.  Yes?

Now that you mention it, no.  The screen remains blank from power-on to X
driver start--no POST, no boot messages, no rhgb, no VC.  (In fact, the
first time I power on the monitor and then the CPU, the monitor appears to
stay in analog mode until the machine finishes booting.  Then if I power
the monitor off and on, it detects the digital signal.  After that,
rebooting produces the result above.)

Sounds like the card you're using has a VBIOS bug.  You need to talk
to whomever manufactured the card, no one here can fix this.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org