Re: Can't get NetworkManager to configure ntp

On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Aaron Konstam writes:

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 04:19 +1030, Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 08:38 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I thought a laptop is a machine you can move to different place and
> therefore different networks.

Not everybody does that.  Some just use theirs around different spots on
the same premises.

You know sometimes we spend a lot of time denying the obvious. A laptop
is designed to move around. So if the OP found himself in a hotel in
another city with his laptop he would have to access a different
network. The case of moving the laptop around in the same network
certainly is possible but I would assume be a rare case and can be
removed from any general discussion.

Unless, of course, one is committed to argumentation.

Yes, this is getting off the subject.  The real issue here is:

But it would be on-topic at networkmanager-list@xxxxxxxxx (subscribe at
be timely too.

1) NetworkManager does not implement a good chunk of the configuration
functionality available via DHCP.  From what I can see, it ignores
ntp-servers, domain-name, and host-name.  The only thing it does,
apparently, is set the IP address, the subnet mask, the routing table, and
generate /etc/resolv.conf.

2) Even though dhclient-script is perfectly capable of handling the
remaining DHCP options that NetworkManager does not yet implement, it is
prevented from doing so.  I cannot see any good reason for that.

3) None of the above is documented anywhere.  It would've saved me a great
deal of trouble if some README somewhere simply told me: yes,
NetworkManager does not implement X and Y.

The only reason I haven't filed a bug in Bugzilla is because I'm really only about 70% sure of the above, based on the snippets of code I looked at so far, and I've hacked around this mess using NetworkManagerDispatcher. I don't like to file bugs in Bugzilla only to get a NOTABUG (it's implemented, but you don't know the magic incantation
for finding the documentation how to set it up).

At networkmanager-list, you could verify your conjectures, get comments from developers, and decide or get advice about filing a bug.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu