Re: Can't get NetworkManager to configure ntp

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht writes:

Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
When I plug it in, the machine gets its IP address, router IP, and DNS
ip, but ntp.conf does not get updated.

You might want to try without network manager first.  I just have each
interface marked as dynamic in system-configure-network.  When
dhcpclient runs separately on each interfaces it does edit
/etc/ntpd.conf as expected.

Since this is a laptop with wireless, I need NetworkManager.

How do I debug this?  I tried stracing the NetworkManager process, but
I cannot see it forking/cloning/execing dhclient and dhclient-script.

I've always had good luck hacking chclient-script to echo/concatenate
all of its calling args along with a timestamp into a log file in
/tmp.  eg.

     echo "$(date) $@" >> /tmp/dhclient.log

Yes, I managed to find the dhclient-script. I found out that it gets called with the dhc_dbus environment variable containing a value of "31", that causes the script to _skip_ modifications to the /etc files. That raises more questions than it answers.