How to add /sbin to useable paths on FC5

I have a problem when compiling a library. I am upgrading Aldrin, a music app.
The latest version needs a library that used to be integrated in Aldrin, but
now needs to be installed separately. The library "libzzub" doesn't seem to
be available for FC5, at least not in extras, or freshrpms.

This library is built using scons, but when I su to root to do a "scons
install" it insists on running ldconfig, which it can't as it's not
calling /sbin/ldconfig, and lunches out saying there's a problem.

I had a look in /etc/profiles, and I'm sure on an earlier version of FC, I
added /sbin to the paths, but FC5 seems to be a bit different.

What do I need to do, so that it is not necessary to call ldconfig
as /sbin/ldconfig?

/etc/profiles on my FC5 install is below.

# /etc/profile

# System wide environment and startup programs, for login setup
# Functions and aliases go in /etc/bashrc

pathmunge () {
 if ! echo $PATH | /bin/egrep -q "(^|:)$1($|:)" ; then
    if [ "$2" = "after" ] ; then
       PATH=$PATH:$1
    else
       PATH=$1:$PATH
    fi
 fi
}

# ksh workaround
if [ -z "$EUID" -a -x /usr/bin/id ]; then
 EUID=`id -u`
 UID=`id -ru`
fi

# Path manipulation
if [ "$EUID" = "0" ]; then
 pathmunge /sbin
 pathmunge /usr/sbin
 pathmunge /usr/local/sbin
fi

# No core files by default
ulimit -S -c 0 > /dev/null 2>&1

if [ -x /usr/bin/id ]; then
 USER="`id -un`"
 LOGNAME=$USER
 MAIL="/var/spool/mail/$USER"
fi

HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname`
HISTSIZE=1000

if [ -z "$INPUTRC" -a ! -f "$HOME/.inputrc" ]; then
    INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc
fi

export PATH USER LOGNAME MAIL HOSTNAME HISTSIZE INPUTRC

for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
    if [ -r "$i" ]; then
     . $i
    fi