Re: mail program for FC6

Aaron Konstam wrote:

Not everyone has a public IP address with suitable DNS handling for every machine where they might want to read their email.
That is certainly a problem. And now that I am using sbc mail I ahve to
use pop or imap; that is true.

Using imap has advantages even if you don't have to. You can read your mail from multiple locations - or even use a webmail wrapper from machines that don't have a mailer installed and always have access to the same messages and folders. You can move the messages to any other account with imap without worrying about conversion programs.

 > Your
machine can be directly accessible. And mutt is  a mailer that handle
threaded - sorted mail messages properly where programs like evolution
can't.
What do you mean by 'properly'?  This works for me:
http://www.novell.com/documentation/evolution24/index.html?page=/documentation/evolution24/evolution24/data/usage-mail-getnsend-read.html, although I've been using thunderbird more lately, which also does threads but is a little slower to switch back and forth between threaded/unthreaded views and I usually view sorted by timestamp and switch to threaded only when I've forgotten the earlier part of the conversation.
Let us be clear what I am saying does not work. You want your mail
threaded as well as sorted in ascending order. Now you read the mail
message in a threaded mail list. The next item in the threaded list
happens to have been received after the mail message that follows the
threaded mail group. In evolution you jump to the next message but now
it appears where it would in date order. This is very annoying.

What do you do to deal with this annoyance?

I always read mail sorted by timestamp, newest first, so I don't bother responding to things that have already been answered, then I flip to the threaded view if someone didn't quote enough context and I need to backtrack in the conversation. Evolution handles this nicely with ctl-T (easier than thunderbird which doesn't have a hotkey) and I've never noticed a problem with the time order when backtracking. If it is a problem, I just never saw it. The only thing I care about enough to be annoyed is that hitting delete should advance the view to the next message automatically, and both evolution and thunderbird get this right.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx