Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> In an ideal world the install medium would not be a factor in
> selecting a Linux distro, I agree. However, it does have veto power
> and when I've got a hour to download, my chances of getting Kubuntu
> intact at the end of that hour are much better than getting Fedora.
> Furthermore, I have to burn those disks, and I can do one disk in five
> minutes with no babysitting, but burning five disks require that I
> babysit the machine for half an hour. Not a good impression to make on
> someone who I'm installing thier first Linux distro for.

You only have to burn them if it is your first Linux install.

For converts (those who [k]ubuntu is aimed at, remember this started
because someone mentioned ubuntu) it WILL be their first install.

If you are helping them, having the isos downloaded to a laptop which you can connect via a crossover cable would be the easy approach.

> Shall I continue with the amount of problems that a 5 disk
> installation makes? Thats 5 disks to check before an install. That's
> five times the chance that a disk will get scratching in handling.

Download the iso images to an NFS-exported directory.  Burn the first
disk.  Boot it with "linux askmethod" at the boot prompt.  Pick nfs
image as the install method.  Fill in the info for the host and path
to the nfs directory where  you downloaded the images.  When the
install starts, go away and come back when it is finished.  No disk
swapping or babysitting needed.

And how am I to do that on a machine with one big NTFS partion that
will be nuked as soon as I start the install? Remember, we're talking
about installing over Windows machines in this thread, not reinstalls
or upgrades.

You can also install from a hard disk partition, so you could use one of the run-from-CD versions to make a partition to hold the isos, download them, then install directly from there.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx