Re: Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Norm wrote:
For me the ideal Fedora distro(s) would be a 1 live disk for both server and a desktop version. The ability as we have now to add individual packages we feel the need for. And the additional 3 to 5 disks we have

What I would like to see in Fedora 7 is a 2 DVD set that has *everything*. Almost all ISPs that I can opt for here have ridiculously low caps on download limits. So, unless I use my office network (which is okay for my laptop, but not for my desktop), I can't do any heavy duty yum'ing.

now could be bundled packages such as a graphics add on to either of the of the main distros. Yes I know graphics on a server does not make a lot of sense. Other packages could be a security bundle, sql bundle etc.

Not necessarily. AFAIK, Oracle installation has to be done thru GUI. So whenever I am building a box for a database server I have to put in a minimal gnome desktop. My DBA even wanted to have a remote GUI terminal (he heard of XDMCP from somewhere). I literally had to put a gun to his head and make him do all his work via putty.

--
Regards
Vivek J. Patankar

Registered Linux User #374218