Re: new daylight savings time

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:

I think it is intelligent to look the expected supported lifetime before installing an OS to see if it matches your intended usage.

Agreed. I was stunned to discover a hosting company offering FC1 as their Linux platform last year that was completely unaware that FC1 was already End of Life. I asked them what they were intending to replace it with and they were completely unable to answer, instead assuring me that it was still supported. :O

Fedora has always been very clear about the life cycle of each release.

Clear, yes. Smart, no.

It is clear from watching Google Trends <URL:http://www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu%2C+fedora+%7C+fc6+%7C+fc5+%7C+fc4+%7C+fc3%2C+RHEL+%7C+redhat+%7C+red+hat%2C++suse%2C+debian&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all> that Fedora (and even maybe Redhat itself) is dying. Not quickly, but the trend is clear and reaches back years now. I *hope* F7 will reverse that, but without a willingness to support Fedora for more than 12 to 18 months it simply isn't worth the hassle for most people.

Despite Redhat's protestations that Fedora isn't just RHEL beta/technology testbed, in practice that is how it is perceived. Each Fedora is supported just long enough to 'get stable' and transfer technology to RHEL, and then the end user is forced to do an OS upgrade. There just aren't enough people who love reving the OS every 12 to 18 months to a newly unstable release make that viable.

I'm running FC5/FC6 on my desktops right now: I've been running RH since the RH4/5 days (I used Slackware before that back to 1995). But my next upgrade will probably not be Fedora but either CentOS5 or Ubuntu7 (assuming an LTS version is released by then).

If Redhat really wants their technology testbed for RHEL to reach an expanding rather than a shrinking audience, they are going to have to bite the bullet and provide some method for inexpensive support for at least security patches for an extended time ala the old RH boxed sets. I realize they have a problem with it cannibalizing RHEL (which is their cash cow), but CentOS and Ubuntu are already doing a great job of that right now.

--
Benjamin Franz

"It is moronic to predict without first establishing an error rate
 for a prediction and keeping track of oneâ??s past record of accuracy."
                    -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Fooled By Randomness