squid question

I've been running squid on one of my boxes and have configured the
browsers on my other machines to use it as an HTTP proxy server via port
3128.  I've edited the squid configuration file (/etc/squid/squid.conf)
by adding these lines before the line "http_access deny all":

acl internal src 192.168.1.0/24
http_access allow internal

Then I opened port 3128 (tcp protocol) on the server.  This arrangement
(which seems pretty standard) has worked without problems for a few
months and a large cache has made using the web faster.  Recently I've
tried accessing internet URLs like this that reference a specific port:

http://lib6.wsulibs.edu:8888/sfx_local

and I get a "Connection to 134.121.5.234 failed" error message from
squid.  But if I change the browser to use the direct internet
connection things work normally.

Why is this happening?  Is there some other setting I need to make in
squid.conf?

Thanks for the help! -- Jerry