Re: problem mounting NTFS partition

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 15:04 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I've been trying to mount an NTFS partition on a system dual booting
> XP
> and FC6, following the instructions in the "Personal Fedora Core 6
> Installation
> Guide" (http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html#ntfs).
> These are basically:
>
> (1) yum install fuse fuse-libs ntfs-3g ntfsprogs ntfsprogs-gnomevfs
> (2) create directory /mnt/winNTFS
> (3) add this line to /etc/fstab:
> /dev/sda1  /mnt/winNTFS  ntfs-3g  ro,defaults,umask=0222  0 0
>
> But then I get this error message during booting:
> Fuse mount point creation error.  No such file or directory
> Unmounting /dev/sda1  Failed
>
> When I log on I find the partition has not mounted.
>
> While logged on, if I do this command (also in the instructions):
> mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/winNTFS -t ntfs-3g -ro umask=0222
> I get this message:
> WARNING: Old FUSE kernel module detected. This means, some driver
> features are not available (swap file on NTFS, boot from NTFS by
> LILO),
> and unmount is not safe unless you make sure the ntfs-3g process
> naturally terminates after calling 'umount'. The safe FUSE kernel
> driver
> is included in the official Linux kernels since version 2.6.20-rc1, or
> in the FUSE 2.6 software package. Please see the next page for more
> help: http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#fuse26
>
> The NTFS partition mounts successfully and I'm able to read files.
> But
> when I shutdown the system I get several screens-worth of error
> messages
> zipping by, including:
> umount /mnt/winNTFS    block devices not supported on fuse
>
> which make me nervous.  Does anyone have insight as to what's going
> on?
> Is this procedure for mounting a NTFS partition safe or am I risking
> damage?  Is there a better way to do this?
>
> Thanks for the help!  --Jerry
Well I tried the mount and got the same error. That is strange since I
could swear that the last time I did this there was no error. I even
tried ntfsmount with the same result. I would conclude the problem arose
with a recent upgrade.
Well you can follow the instructions at the web site. So there is a
solution. If you believe the error message umounting would be safe if
you make sure ntfs-3g has terminated which could be automated in a
script I guess.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>