Re: File Permissions

On 21/02/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 16:03 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I've got rootDirectory as /home/user/public_html/, not /var/www.
> Apache is in the group user. I've got group permission as read only.

You don't need to have Apache as any sort of user or group.  You're
quite okay to be the owner and group-owner of the files.  The "other"
user permissions are appropriate ones for letting Apache read files.

I do keep forgetting to mention you have to set parent directory
permissions, as well, with at least enough permissions for Apache to
read from homespaces.  For example:

drwx-----x  root root  /home
drwx-----x  tim  tim   /home/tim/
drwx---r-x  tim  tim   /home/tim/public_html/
drwx---r--  tim  tim   /home/tim/public_html/homepage.html
drwx---r-x  tim  tim   /home/tim/public_html/images/
drwx---r--  tim  tim   /home/tim/public_html/images/picture.jpeg

> This way, I can log in as user and modify the files, but apache can
> only read them. Does anybody see anything dangereous here? I figured
> that this was the safest way to do it.

Probably not, on the face of it, but it's still unusual, and you'd have
to remember to go around chowning things.

I don't chown anything. Apache is in the group "user" (which is the
name of my user).

Dotan Cohen

http://essentialinux.com/locale.php
http://bybon.com