Re: a humble request

James Wilkinson wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

I don't like anything to remove control
of my machine from my hands, especially software which may inadvertently
or intentionally do damage to my setup.

OK -- but sometimes it's useful to allow your computer to do things
automatically, as long as you can change that behaviour when needed.

I agree "sometimes" it's useful to allow my computer to do
SOME things automatically, so long as I can change the behavior.
Auto-mount is not one of them.

Using volume names means ensuring that they never collide, and
creates an entire name management problem.

Actually, it just means ensuring that they are never mounted at once,
which is a much smaller problem.

Not so. If, as was suggested, the auto-mount occurs on data intended
to control or supply data for an install, and a medium with that
volume name is already mounted, but does not have corresponding
data, then something may go badly wrong. I know where I put the install
medium. The computer does not.

James (who shared an Amiga, and agrees that the OS could show all
current OSes a worthwhile trick or two -- for example, datatypes).

Mike, who has worked on the other end of the install stick, supporting
users who badly botched installs.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.