Re: a humble request

On 2/12/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 15:54 -0800, Globe Trotter wrote:
> The problem with a moving target is that programs that actually do
> something can not be written to read data from a disk.

That depends...  If it's its own data, there's no problem.  Some example
program can look for /media/example-disc-1 and ask for it by name if
it's not already mounted.

But that sort of thing would be stuffed up by trying to find what it
presumes to be a standard /media/cdrom if my PC has /media/cdwriter, and
that is the old way of doing things.

It's possible to force this using hal, for some devices at least. For
example, I have cds mount on /media/burner by creating
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/95userpolicy/burner.fdi with contents

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
 <device>
       <match key="storage.cdrom.cdr" bool="true">
         <merge key="storage.policy.desired_mount_point"
type="string">burner</merge>
       </match>
 </device>
</deviceinfo>

(I forget where I stole this from, it's not original)

Nowadays it seems to force /media as the parent directory, though in
FC4 at least this was configurable.

<rantette>
None of this excuses gnome-mount which was so bad in FC5 that it
single handedly persuaded me not to upgrade. In FC6 it is better but
still fails with no error, but rather a version string. No doubt it
integrates beautifully with Nautilus etc. but it replaced a set of
working terminal commands (mount, umount and eject) with the choice of
running the same commands as root or using a gui. IMO that makes it
broken by design.
</rantette>

Chris