Re: a humble request

Tim wrote:
On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 16:46 +0100, Chris Rouch wrote:

It's possible to force this using hal, for some devices at least. For
example, I have cds mount on /media/burner by creating

On a particular machine, easy enough.  I think the real problem would
lay with a program you'd expect to be able to write for all machines.
You couldn't expect everyone to modify their machines to suit that
program, and what about the next author with different demands?
Mounting by volume name is the best way for an application to ask for
its own data, and get what it wants.

IMO, mounting by "volume name" is a very poor way to do things.
I do not have any discs I created using Linux that even have
"volume names" by which to mount them, and will resist any attempts
to force me to use them. Not that any are in progress that I
know of. I'm talking about future directions of making that be
the only recognized way to mount discs.

Applications should have configuration files put into standard
locations which tell them where to find their data. This would
be

	$HOME/.my_application/<application specific configuration>

Then there isn't any issue with having volume names related to
applications.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.