Re: Talking to Logitech on the phone regarding webcam support for linux

Colin Brace wrote:

> As Cringley put it not long ago:
>
> [...]
>
> Those who are trying to figure out if Vista will be successful haven't
> yet grasped the concept that Vista will be forced on the market, and
> in time it will be the only operating system you can buy from
> Microsoft. Of course it will be successful. Will people upgrade their
> existing systems? Of course not. Microsoft operating systems are
> always designed for future PC's, not for the installed base. Part of
> the plan is to make Vista work poorly on current computers so we'll
> all have to buy new ones. This strategy has been around for years and
> there is no reason to believe we won't fall for it again. Sure, some
> percentage of people and firms will upgrade, but most of the upgrades
> will come with whole new computers.
>
> [...]
>
> full: http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2006/pulpit_20061208_001308.html
>
> Of course, if people suddenly stopped buying new PCs, the story would
> be different, but how likely do you think that would be?

Back when people still purchased versions of Windows, there was an
interesting problem for M$. Windows 95 was out, but Windows 3.1 was
outselling Windows 95. Because M$ wanted Windows 95 to sell more,
they stopped selling Windows 3.1, forcing anyone that wanted Windows
to buy Windows 95. It also seams that they stop producing drivers
for their hardware for all but the latest version of the OS. It will
be interesting to see when they stop shipping XP drivers with M$
branded products...

Mikkel