Re: Talking to Logitech on the phone regarding webcam support for linux

Gene Heskett wrote:

There are lots of us who bought what was supposed to be supported webcams, only to find the support was rather horribly broken and that we wasted $70 USD or more.

If you want to run an OS without a stable driver interface, you can always pay extra for a network camera like these:
http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/

I submit that their attitude vis-a-vis linux support IS sufficiently well known that sales of that sort of product to knowledgeable linux users is essentially zip. But they need to ask themselves which came first, their refusal to support linux, or the non-existant sales to the millions of linux users out there?

Yes, if you want painless support, Linux probably wouldn't be your first choice. Most current Macs have cameras built in and include the software.

As a group, I'd like to think we are the gearheads, but then I know of some winderz folks who have to have the absolute latest toys too, so...

I don't think you'll find a lot of new hardware where the Linux support comes first. I might have seen one exception to that - ever - and I'm not sure if that device is still around.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx