Re: Talking to Logitech on the phone regarding webcam support for linux

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 16:32 -0800, John Wendel wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > On 07/02/07, Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Not necessarily.  Some of TI's wireless network stuff, for example, can
> >> easily be convinced to broadcast at higher-than-normal power levels and
> >> at completely bogus frequencies.
> >>
> >> If they open up the driver, the source will be published and anyone with
> >> a tiny bit of know-how can wreak havoc with local wireless networks.
> >> Now, you could argue that TI should redesign the chipset (they have)
> >> but what about all the chipsets that are already out there?  Knowing how
> >> lawyers are, TI would get hit with lawsuit after lawsuit.  That being
> >> the case, can you blame them for keeping the source closed?  I don't.
> >>

> > That's a great arguement. Let me sum it up, to be certain that I
> > understood correctly:
> > "TI has sold very powerful hardware: stuff so powerful that it might
> > be illeagal or even dangerous. So instead of letting everybody use it,
> > their best interest is in allowing only crippled Windows computers to
> > use it. Allowing all systems to use the powerful hardware could open
> > them up to a potential lawsuit."
> >
> > Let's put GM in the same position. Does this sentance sound logical?
> > "GM has sold some large, heavy vechicles: vehicles so large and heavy
> > that they might be illegal or dangerous. So instead of letting
> > everybody drive them, their best interest is in allowing only elderly
> > handicapped people drive them. Allowing all drivers to drive the
> > vehicles could open them up to a potential lawsuit."
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > http://what-is-what.com/what_is/foss_floss_software.html
> > http://ultu.com
> >

> Dude, it's the FCC, logic doesn't apply! But good one anyhow.

No, there has already been a lawsuit about it against TI from a
consumer.  The consumer lost, but it took a long time to contest.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
- grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... -
-                                                ...once.            -