Re: Talking to Logitech on the phone regarding webcam support for linux

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 02:12 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 07/02/07, Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Not necessarily.  Some of TI's wireless network stuff, for example, can
> > easily be convinced to broadcast at higher-than-normal power levels and
> > at completely bogus frequencies.
> >
> > If they open up the driver, the source will be published and anyone with
> > a tiny bit of know-how can wreak havoc with local wireless networks.
> > Now, you could argue that TI should redesign the chipset (they have)
> > but what about all the chipsets that are already out there?  Knowing how
> > lawyers are, TI would get hit with lawsuit after lawsuit.  That being
> > the case, can you blame them for keeping the source closed?  I don't.
> >

> That's a great arguement. Let me sum it up, to be certain that I
> understood correctly:
> "TI has sold very powerful hardware: stuff so powerful that it might
> be illeagal or even dangerous. So instead of letting everybody use it,
> their best interest is in allowing only crippled Windows computers to
> use it. Allowing all systems to use the powerful hardware could open
> them up to a potential lawsuit."
>
> Let's put GM in the same position. Does this sentance sound logical?
> "GM has sold some large, heavy vechicles: vehicles so large and heavy
> that they might be illegal or dangerous. So instead of letting
> everybody drive them, their best interest is in allowing only elderly
> handicapped people drive them. Allowing all drivers to drive the
> vehicles could open them up to a potential lawsuit."

GM _HAS_ been sued in similar circumstances, as has Ford and Chrysler,
by both end users (drivers) and insurance companies.  Why else do you
think they neutered the "muscle cars" of the 60s?  Because they wouldn't
sell?  Look at the suits over SUV rollovers.  The morons that buy them
treat them like any other car, despite their high center of gravity and
narrow (for weight) track.

How many firearm makers have been sued because some twit shot himself or
someone else by accident?  And the tobacco suits!  Jeeze, you KNOW
cigarettes are bad for you. But because you won't quit, you blame the
provider and sue him.

TI just didn't want to give suit-happy lawyers any more ammo.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-   NEWS FLASH! Intelligence of mankind decreasing!  Details at...   -
-     uh, when, uh, the little hand is, uh, on the...  Aw, NUTS!     -