Re: Suspend bug

oleksandr korneta:
>>> I do not believe secure wifi.

Tim:
>> Hmm, you don't believe it can be done, or don't want to do it?

oleksandr korneta:
> I do not believe that neither wpa nor wep will stop anyone with hostile
> intentions when we talk about wifi.

WEP won't, I haven't kept up to date about how badly WPA has been
compromised, yet.  Though I'm far from convinced that wireless
networking can be done securely.

>>> All I have is just filtering by mac-address to prevent non-authorized
>>> use by my neighbors.

>> FYI:  That will not *prevent* unauthorised use.  About all it'll do is
>> prevent *accidental* use of yours.
>>
>> Of course, if that's all you're bothered about, then don't worry about
>> it.

> It is not like I am bothered too much by this, by I definitely would
> like to know more about the way to connect my AP ignoring mac-address
> restrictions. Any references?

Client's MAC addresses will go out on the air quite a lot.  It's nearly
child's play for someone to listen to the traffic, then copy one of the
MAC addresses into their own configuration.  Script kiddies have the
hard work already done for them, others can do it for themselves with
standard network analysis tools.

> ps: not really sure what that sarcastic style of questions is about

Don't know where you read the sarcasm into things.  My first question
was to clarify your position, which you did.  The other points were that
MAC filtering isn't any good for security, though some people don't
really need the level of security that others do.

If you had a collection of properly set up networks, in use nearby each
other, then the usual steps people take would meant that they'd only use
their own networks, and not accidentally use the others.  And that's
about all they'd manage.  And for some situations that'd be adequate.

But if you're using a network in an area where you couldn't completely
control things (e.g. you're too close to the neighbours, etc.), then
it's quite likely to not be good enough.