Re: Suspend bug

oleksandr korneta <atenrok@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

on 02/01/2007 12:20 PM David G. Miller wrote:
> Alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> occurs during the second "suspend". System did not crash though, i mean
>>> it was still functional except that the PM (power manager) throws a pop
>>> up saying that the suspend was failed.
>> >>
>> Does this occur if you don't have the proprietary nvidia drivers
>> installed ?
> Save you the trouble of asking me the same question. From xorg.conf for > my laptop: > > ...
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>         Driver      "radeon"
> EndSection
> > The actual video device is an ATI Radeon Express 200M.

I have Compaq Presario v2404us (consider it HP) Turion based. FC6 x86_64 installed. Is is equipped with ATI Radeon Express 200M videodapter which I use with opensource drivers. I experience regular daily crashes (1-2 times per day) with kernel panic (blinking CapsLock led, darks screen, non-responsive system). I did not notice any correlation between the crashes and my activity on this laptop, it can happen equally under heavy load as well as right after waking up the machine from the suspend mode.

kernel version 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6

familiar symptoms huh?

note, I did not have such problem using FC4 on this machine for the whole year.

because of kernel panic, I assume I can't catch any output in the log files about the cause, can I?

-- regards, Oleksandr Korneta /The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./
I attempted to reproduce the problem earlier today by going through the same set of actions that preceded the lock-up I described earlier. The system is still running normally at this time. I'll give it a little bit longer (overnight) and see how it's doing tomorrow.

My experience with the laptop is pretty much as you described: I used it extensively running FC4 with no problems. This is the first "random crash" since installing FC6. I am running ndiswrapper with the Windows driver for my Broadcomm wireless NIC so the system is "tainted." The only way I can use the bcm43xx wireless drives is if I disable security on my AP which I'm not going to do.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce