WiFi MAC address filtering [Was: Re: Suspend bug]

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 08:39:37PM +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 09:54 -0500, oleksandr korneta wrote:

> > All I have is just filtering by mac-address to prevent non-authorized
> > use by my neighbors.
>
> FYI:  That will not *prevent* unauthorised use.  About all it'll do is
> prevent *accidental* use of yours.

Tim, I've seen this assertion before. Wouldn't that depend on the
nature of the MAC address filtering? If you provide a list of
prohibited MAC addresses, then any address not on the list would get
access to the net, and the assertion is correct.

If, on the other tentacle, you provide a list of approved MAC
addresses, then only those approved addresses would have access, and a
bad guy would have to spend a lot of time trying MAC addresses. Thus,
while the assertion is technically correct, it is practically false.

I'm assuming that the AP doesn't broadcast the list of acceptable MAC
addresses, on the theory that only a congressman would be that stupid.