Re: Croquet

On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 12:14 -0600, Chris Mohler wrote:
> > There is also supposed to be a newest beta version of
> > nVidia drivers to fix broken libGL handling, so it might not be on their
> > end what's broken.
>
> Hmm...
>
> > So, I cruised over the rpm.livna.org and checked it out. It's supposed
> > to be in /testing. I dunno if I have the guts to try it or not! <grins>
> > Anyone familiar with the newest beta nVidia driver and which one do you
> > use? There are some unfamiliar names there. I have no clue.
>
> I'm using the 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run' package (today) - I
> usually grab the latest stable release whenever there's a kernel
> update.
>
> I just peeked at livna's package:
> #yum --enablerepo=livna-testing search nvidia
> kmod-nvidia.i686                         1.0.9742-1.2.6.18_1.28 livna-testing
>
> Looks like the latest stable release - 1.0-9746 - is later than both
> Nvidia's beta driver, and Linva's testing driver...?
>
> > I'll pang away on it some more. It's also having a problem with ports,
> > it'll grab updates, but it won't connect to the world servers. They do
> > have a bugzilla with a bunch of linux bug-reports listed. But, if you
> > have tried the beta linux client version of Secondlife, it's a mind
> > blower. That runs out of the box and you will really see something if
> > you try it. It's free. Ric
>
> Aside from fiddling with the sound, SL runs nearly perfectly.  If
> that's alpha software, it's going to end up one hell of a client!
Well, from what I can gather, that client is mostly Croquet based
cleaned up on the client end. I think I've gotten past the libGl issue
with an update kmod-nvidia, now I'm dealing with openAL for sound and
that beast is funky. I'm dealing with the setup features and other than
the lib and include settings, I'm not sure just what to put in the other
parameters. (openal-config which is in /usr/bin) I think if I get that
beat, I may have a chance. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net