Re: Croquet

On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 16:11 -0600, Chris Mohler wrote:
> > I'm running into an issue where it doesn't see openGL as installed. I
> > hope we can get Fedora users to adopt into this project. I can use the
> > help!! If anyone is into this, please drop me a line. Ric
>
> If you can get it running, you're a better man than I.  IMHO,
> Croquet's method for accessing OpenGL is utterly broken.
>
> Throwing in the towel on this one - it looked interesting at first,
> but after messing with it for a couple of hours, I shant waste any
> more time.  FWIW, I've pasted in a few things that I tried.
>
> Chris
>
> Things that didn't help:
> Installing squeak from source - this just added a cryptic message
> about unix not having sufficient entropy to be secure (yeah, right)
> before returning to the 'Cannot initialize opengl' error.
>
> Disabling the composite extension in xorg.conf - no effect.
>
> Switching nv/nvidia drivers - no effect.

I found that I had a problem with /usr/lib/libGL where some of the links
weren't kosher. So, in my AHHA! moment, I cranked it back up and still
had the damn errors. That's why I'm hoping we could get some involvement
from the Linux Community back into Croquet to fix this stuff. We lack
the numbers there. I also found some permission problems with squeak,
included in the package which wasn't chmod'd to execute. I fixed that
and it came up. There is also supposed to be a newest beta version of
nVidia drivers to fix broken libGL handling, so it might not be on their
end what's broken.

So, I cruised over the rpm.livna.org and checked it out. It's supposed
to be in /testing. I dunno if I have the guts to try it or not! <grins>
Anyone familiar with the newest beta nVidia driver and which one do you
use? There are some unfamiliar names there. I have no clue.

I'll pang away on it some more. It's also having a problem with ports,
it'll grab updates, but it won't connect to the world servers. They do
have a bugzilla with a bunch of linux bug-reports listed. But, if you
have tried the beta linux client version of Secondlife, it's a mind
blower. That runs out of the box and you will really see something if
you try it. It's free. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net