Re: Can't boot after upgrade to FC6

----- Original Message -----
From: Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, December 30, 2006 9:29 pm
Subject: Re: Can't boot after upgrade to FC6
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx

> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > In means to me that your hd0 disk partition 1 is either not
> there or not
> > formatted.
> > Try fdisk /de/hda and see what it tells you.
>
> Another possibility is that grub is not looking at the grub.conf file
> you think it is.
> Eg, if your /boot partition is not mounted
> then maybe there is a /boot directory on your / partition.
>
> I would try "grub-install --recheck /dev/hdi"
> if you can run Linux at all on this machine.
> If you can't you could still give that command under knoppix,
> or something like that.

# grub-install --recheck /dev/hdi
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
/dev/hdi does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

I think my computer setup is a little non-standard so a quick
description is in order. Some time ago I went out and bought a new
computer to replace my aging 600Mz Athlon. I had a 160GB IDE drive
containing my Linux partition that I planned to transfer to the new
computer but when i installed it, the BIOS would "see" it but not boot
from it. After some investigation I found out that I cannot mix SATA
drives with IDE drives on the motherboard (I wish I had known that
before I bought the new computer). I had an old IDE controller lying
around so I installed that, plugged in the IDE drive and I was in
buisiness.

The BIOS "sees" the IDE drive and I can change the boot order. I don't
know how grub "looks" for drives but perhaps my setup is confusing it
now (it used to work fine under FC5) or perhaps the BIOS is buggy.

I am going to swap the boot order in the BIOS and see if that has any
effect.

Steve.