Re: Can't boot after upgrade to FC6

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 16:29 -0500, zephod@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The upgrade from FC5 to FC6 appeared to go OK at first and I was able
> to log in and do a package update which had no problems. However after
> I installed xen I can no longer boot; the system just reboots.

I wonder if you replaced a non-Xen kernel with a Xen one, rather than
installing it as an additional kernel?

> After some investigation I found that when I boot from the DVD in
> rescue mode and run grub from the command line I get this:
>
> # grub
> grub> root (hd0,0)
>    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
>
> The file /boot/device.map contains:
>  (hd0) /dev/hdi
>  (hd1) /dev/sda
>
> hd1 is my Windows disk.

Perhaps your map file doesn't really show what's considered hd0 and hd1.
Try issuing root (hd1,0), and see what difference it makes.  You can
just type in (hd and hit the tab key, you'll get auto-complete options
from what's available.

If something considers the order of the drives to be different, they'll
count the other way around.

I read messages from the public lists.