Re: How to determine what partition is still not formatted?

Paul Smith wrote:
On 12/31/06, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ... if you issue parted /dev/sdx and then print, you are able to
>> see all the partitions on sdx, including flags, filesystems a.s.o.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Hadn't tried that, but it doesn't look like any more information than I
> can get from fdisk. E.g. parted's 'print' shows the partition type, but
> doesn't actually test whether there's a formatted file system there
> unless you're doing a file system operation on it. And it feels safer to
> me to just try and mount a partition temporarily, and read-only if you
> really want to be careful.

I guess if you see the partition type with fdisk and then try to mount
the partition or activate the partition, it will tell you if it is
formatted with the filesystem that it claims to be.

Other than that, I never thought to try any out of the ordinary program
to figure out if it is setup with a filesystem. I did that for DOS, so I
guess other filesystem presence would work the same.

Thanks to all. The disk where I suspect that there is some unformatted
space is the following ('fdisk output'):

Disk /dev/hde: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hde1   *           1       10000    80324968+  83  Linux
/dev/hde2           10001       19457    75963352+  8e  Linux LVM

Paul

If you are trying to diagnose the LVM partition, there is a visual tool for setting up LVM partitions and it will also show visually what the partitions are made up as.

Go to System/Administration/Logical Volume Management on the GNOME menus and try to launch the program.

The first partition is regular partition and should be mountable with making a directory for the volume and mounting it with
mount /dev/hde1 /mnt/MyCreatedDirectory
 whatever that would be.

Jim

--
People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction
rather than surrender any material part of their advantage.