Re: How to determine what partition is still not formatted?

Tim wrote:
Just typing in mount will show you what's mounted.  You can compare that
against fdisk -l to find out more about what's missing.

As long as there are no partitions that have been formatted but not mounted.

AFAIK the only way to see if a partition is formatted is to try and mount it. Mount can try to determine how the partition is formatted, so if it gives up you can be pretty sure that partition is not formatted, at least for any filesystems the kernel has support for.

I actually keep a disk/partition inventory, by hand, in a spreadsheet, because I've never found a good admin tool that can print a nice summary of the info I need to know (e.g., the OP's question) when installation time rolls around. It doesn't change often so it's not a huge chore, but if anyone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

<Joe