Re: Can't boot after upgrade to FC6

----- Original Message -----
From: Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, December 30, 2006 12:14 pm
Subject: Re: Can't boot after upgrade to FC6
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

> On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 16:29 -0500, zephod@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > The upgrade from FC5 to FC6 appeared to go OK at first and I was
> able
> > to log in and do a package update which had no problems. However
> after
> > I installed xen I can no longer boot; the system just reboots.
>
> I wonder if you replaced a non-Xen kernel with a Xen one, rather than
> installing it as an additional kernel?

I tried with several different kernels but get the same result.

> > After some investigation I found that when I boot from the DVD
> in
> > rescue mode and run grub from the command line I get this:
> >
> > # grub
> > grub> root (hd0,0)
> >    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
> >
> > The file /boot/device.map contains:
> >  (hd0) /dev/hdi
> >  (hd1) /dev/sda
> >
> > hd1 is my Windows disk.
>
> Perhaps your map file doesn't really show what's considered hd0
> and hd1.
> Try issuing root (hd1,0), and see what difference it makes.  You can
> just type in (hd and hit the tab key, you'll get auto-complete
options
> from what's available.
>
> If something considers the order of the drives to be different,
> they'llcount the other way around.

# grub
grub> root (<TAB>
grub> root (hd0,

Entering 0 gives me the "Filesystem type unknown..." error, entering
any other number gives me a "disk not found" error. I tried root
(hd1,0) but this doesn't work either.

If I try the auto completion with a kernel command, I get this:

# grub
grub> kernel /vmlin<TAB>
   Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition.

I am guessing this is because the root command fails.

Steve.