Re: Help with data retrieval

On 12/30/06, Jacques B. <jjrboucher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/30/06, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have an IDE HDD with a vfat (FAT32) partition, in a USB enclosure.
> There seems to be a hardware failure. Machines can still mount the
> partition, but errors cause reading to be very slow.
>
> What are the optimal methods for automating the retrieval process? I'm
> guessing some of you have techniques/scripts which would help me get
> as much data as possible.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Than you.
>
> --
> Fedora Core 6 and proud
>
> --

The freezer suggestion can work in some instances.  I'd also suggest
that you dd the drive using something like dd_rescue (I've used it on
two occasions to image failing floppies and it worked).  You can get
dd_rescue from sourceforge.net.  Image to a new drive (either to an
image file on another drive with sufficient space, or device to device
to a new drive of at least the same size if you want to replicate the
drive - the latter would obviously overwrite the destination drive).
Once you have an image of it, you are good to go.

Or if you are simply looking to recover specific file types, scalpel
may do the trick for you. I used dd_rescue in conjunction with scalpel
(scalpel against the image created by dd_rescue) to recover a PPT file
off an otherwise dead floppy.

Jacques B.