Help with data retrieval

Hello list,

I have an IDE HDD with a vfat (FAT32) partition, in a USB enclosure.
There seems to be a hardware failure. Machines can still mount the
partition, but errors cause reading to be very slow.

What are the optimal methods for automating the retrieval process? I'm
guessing some of you have techniques/scripts which would help me get
as much data as possible.

Please advise.

Than you.

--