Re: Blocking Spam

From: "Aaron Konstam" <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 11:56 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
jdow wrote:
> Besides, WTF good is Bayes with image spam?

Actually, I find that SA's Bayesian engine is pretty good at spotting
the random text they put in most image spam. With a few extra points for
technical stuff, most of it goes directly to the spam folder, and the
rest to the "unsure" folder with fairly high scores.

James.
I guess I have to point this out with a little bit of trepidation. But
if you have an unsure folder you are probably using SpamBayes not
Spamassassin.

Thanks for saying it for me. {^_-} Bayes alone is a bicycle with one pedal.
Add some rules and DNS tests and you go from "unsure" to "pretty darned
sure" - at the level of one in a thousand or so. Add FuzzyOCR and you
step up from coaster brakes to caliper brakes. A fully loaded SpamAssassin
is to a mere SpamBayes as a top of the line multi-speed bicycle is to
a broken down beach cruiser with one pedal broken off. SpamBayes has its
uses if one lives on an Internet Beach, I suppose. It make it look to the
locals like you get some exercise even if it can't go anywhere.

{^_-}