How to change udev rules for permissions?

I have a Canon MP170, which behaves much less like a paperweight when attached to my FC6 desktop these days. I have it shared to two Windows XP/Vista laptops both for printing and scanning usings cups-lpd and saned, and it mostly works great. The last silly obsticle seems to be that I need to alter the permissions on /dev/bus/usb/005/002, or XSane (Win32 port) on the two laptops complains that there are no devices found.

I tried working with the rules in /etc/udev/rules.d but I don't seem to be understanding what I am reading correctly. Can someone give an example of how to get the device created by udev with the permissions I need?