Re: Mozilla vs IE CSS differences

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 17:13 +0000, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> I've given up, removed the border/padding/margin from stylesheet, and added
> border=1 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 to the HTML, which at least renders near
> enough the same in both browsers and is near enough what I want.

You might well want cellspacing=0, but probably do want some cellpadding
(it's hard to read tables when the text runs into the borders).

> What I actually wanted was just a single pixel wide, solid black box, with no
> whitespace round it. What I've got is a 2 pixel (1 for each cell) grey
> border.
>
> If anyone knows how, from scratch, to do the .css file to achieve this, for
> both browsers, then I'll be able to work from there. Otherwise, I'll make do.

Have you read through the HTML and CSS specifications for yourself yet?

All I had to do, just tested now on MSIE 6 on Windows 2000, was put:
  table {border-collapse: collapse;}
into the CSS for a table.  The following worked for me:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">
 <head>
  <title>test</title>
 </head>

If you want to move all the styling into the CSS, and forget about the
few clients that don't do CSS, you could remove the border="1" and
rules="all" attributes, replacing them with:

 table, th, td {border: 1px solid black;}

Also tested on the same MSIE 6.  Both above examples are tested,
working, examples.

NB:  Of course, all bets are off with MSIE, it's behaviour from one
version to another is wildly different from another, and at variance
with the specifications.

--
The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to
hang yourself.  And then a couple of feet more, just to be sure.