Re: cpu overheating

Mike Chalmers wrote:

My cpu just overheated again while I was using Linux. This time I was
browsing the web. I am back into Windows to post this. It does not
over heat in Windows. I am not saying Windows is better just because
of this, and I am not saying that Linux causes cpu's to overheat
easier.

I missed the start of this thread, but I used to have heat problems on my laptop, even when seemingly not doing anything significant. I got "CPU modulated" messages on the console, like I think you are.

To cut a long story short:

* the base problem was my laptop - the CPU heatsink was clogged with dust. Once I took it to pieces and cleaned it, it was OK. What other people here have said about thermal problems being the underlying *cause* and software just triggering *symptoms* is true.

* it was often triggered by anaconda running in the background, triggering the updatedb script (which is quite HD and CPU intensive). The same thing could probably happen with yum-updatesd too.

Tim