Re: cpu overheating

On 12/12/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 13:05 -0500, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> When I ran "yum update", when it started to install the updates it
> said something like cpu 0 overheating cpu 1 overheating. Then my
> screen went black for a second and the next thing I new is I was at
> the login screen.

I've noticed that yum seems terribly CPU intensive.  Much more than
other things which I expect to be doing even more work than the
databasing that yum does (working out package dependencies).

It also does a lot of text processing, ie. XML parsing.

Of course, it'd help if Linux wasn't so dependency mad.

Best solution I've seen yet.

I've seem some
damn peculiar ones (like KDE being dependent on having htdig installed).

The htdig does have system files (libraries)

I can understand applications been dependent on standard system files,
but it shouldn't go the other way around.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud