Re: cpu overheating

Tim:
>> I've noticed that yum seems terribly CPU intensive.  Much more than
>> other things which I expect to be doing even more work than the
>> databasing that yum does (working out package dependencies).

Arthur Pemberton:
> It also does a lot of text processing, ie. XML parsing.

I thought there was supposed to be a move towards SQL instead of XML
that was supposed to improve things?  Or so I seem to recall reading
quite some time ago.

>> Of course, it'd help if Linux wasn't so dependency mad.

> Best solution I've seen yet.

>> I've seem some damn peculiar ones (like KDE being dependent on
>> having htdig installed).

> The htdig does have system files (libraries)

Why?  It's an application.  It's an independent application.  You
shouldn't have to install htdig unless you actually want to use htdig.

It reminds me other other stupidities I saw when installing a minimum
installation for a headless server, without X, that installed various
graphics libraries.  What was I going to use to see them?

Sure, I can imagine that if was going to install Apache, and draw pie
charts, that there might be some use for them.  But let such
applications draw them in as a dependency.

-- I need a new wheel for my car.
-- Sure, but it comes with a caravan...
-- I don't want a caravan!
-- You don't have to use it, you can just leave it parked in your garage.
-- I don't have the space.
-- You could get a bigger plot of land...
-- I don't want to.  Can I get rid of the caravan?
-- Yes, but you'd also lose the new wheel.

Who came up with these dependency ideas?  Goofy?

I read messages from the public lists.