Re: local DNS server

On 12/12/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Wasn't it them doing yet another stupid Verisign trick?  (Redirect
enquiries that should return no results to some second-guess what you
might have wanted.)

They market that as a feature :)
But they are upfront about it on the website, and they do mention that
it is their only revenue stream.

Remember that a lot of look-ups are going to be to do with web browsing,
where (for DNS that is working well) the tiny amounts of time involved
in resolving an address is nothing compared to the general lethargicness
of web browsers rendering pages.

That's true. Have you seen the KillerNIC? (OT)

> Looks like it can be made about half it's own size if white space is removed.

Much of that is tabs, not spaces, so it's smaller than it looks.  I
think we're past the days of 4 meg 386 boxes, where you needed to be
concerned about whether a file was using 5 or 10k of space.

I'm frugal :)

Just looking through my /var/named/ directory, where such files are
kept, the main one's 1.6kB, there's a few around 198 Bytes, and my one
filled with domains to get no answers for (doubleclick, etc.) is only
186 Bytes.

Want to share that one with me?

Dotan Cohen

http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_answer/what_is_a_cellphone.html