Re: local DNS server

Tim:
>> No.  There's not a lot of data in a record file, and it's generally only
>> your own authoritative data that's stored on disc (unless you configure
>> otherwise).  Looked-up records are cached in RAM.

Dotan Cohen:
> In RAM? I keep my machine on for weeks at a time. How much RAM can it
> fill up?

No idea, really.  I hadn't checked into it.  But on my server, which I
never turn off, I've never attributed BIND as being a drain.  That
server is nothing unremarkable, either (a 500 MHz Celeron, with less
than 512 megs of RAM).  I don't see it even get a mention in "top," so
it can't be much.  Best thing would be to try it out for a while, you
can always remove it.

>  And on the rare occasion that I do reboot, is the data lost?

Of course, though remember that much of it isn't needed, or meant to be
kept.  Records have expiry dates, and are to be forgotten after them.  A
record that you haven't made use of in several days doesn't really need
keeping.  And so on...

Remember that a lot of look-ups are going to be to do with web browsing,
where (for DNS that is working well) the tiny amounts of time involved
in resolving an address is nothing compared to the general lethargicness
of web browsers rendering pages.

>> [snipped] an example record for an entire domain...

> Looks like it can be made about half it's own size if white space is removed.

Much of that is tabs, not spaces, so it's smaller than it looks.  I
think we're past the days of 4 meg 386 boxes, where you needed to be
concerned about whether a file was using 5 or 10k of space.

Just looking through my /var/named/ directory, where such files are
kept, the main one's 1.6kB, there's a few around 198 Bytes, and my one
filled with domains to get no answers for (doubleclick, etc.) is only
186 Bytes.

I read messages from the public lists.