Re: local DNS server

Tim:
> > It can, if your ISP's DNS servers are crap (some are - my last couple of
> > ISP's were).

Dotan Cohen:
> Actually, I suspect that my university's DNS servers are crap. Often
> at the university, ten minutes will go by where I cannot reach certain
> sites, but others I can reach.

Though, that can be because those domains have stupid values in their
records that make it difficult for other DNS servers...

> > Another advantage is if you run a network of computers.  You can
> > dispense with messing with the hosts files on all of them.

> How much drive space does this occupy?

 rpm -qi bind
Name        : bind                         Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 9.3.3                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 0.1.rc3.fc6                   Build Date: Thu 07 Dec 2006 01:53:38 CST
Install Date: Fri 08 Dec 2006 15:39:27 CST      Build Host: hs20-bc1-5.build.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source RPM: bind-9.3.3-0.1.rc3.fc6.src.rpm
Size        : 2193071                          License: BSD-like

That's the biggest bit, the rest are just small configuration text
files.  This e-mail is much bigger than them, byte-wise.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.