Re: FC5->FC6 upgrade broke my sound

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 13:16 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 14:18 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
> > Also look for external amplifier to see if changing that makes a
> > difference.  It was necessary to turn this on for my laptop.
>
> What does that switch actually do?  I've been playing with sound on a
> desktop box, and trying to work out why "headphones" acts as my master
> volume, and the master volume has no effect.  I've been trying out
> different options, and the external amplifier one makes no differences
> that I can detect.
>
> This, on a FC6 box, as a fresh installation.
>
> --

Depends on the sound device.  If you have one of the fancy 6 output
surround sound types, it has separate outputs for each speaker channel,
and a headphone jack.  If you then get a typical set of PC speakers
wired for the mini jack and plug them into it, then you get control of
output at the speakers via the master, and at the headphones by the
headphone control, which would then be driving the pc type speaker set
(like I do).

Some chips have totally isolated inputs and outputs internally, with
digital control (I used to test the chips, so I am pretty sure of what I
am saying).  In these chips, the design of the application board can
take the outputs of the separate channels and run them through special
ports internally by programming or by hardware coding on the
installation of the chip (tying some pins high or low).  So one chip can
do a variety of duties.  And how you connect  from the chip to the board
edge is part of the board design, and then where you plug the cables in
will affect some forms of performance (similar to the headphone jack vs
speaker outputs I mentioned earlier.) The sound board is no longer just
an amp and wave generator.  It is a very complex sound system nearly as
advanced as a theatrical sound system.  Some theatrical systems are just
built of bunches of these chips even.  YMMV.

Regards,
Les H