Re: *ALMOST* longing for Windows stability

Craig White:
>> perhaps just make a backup copy of /etc/X11/xorg.conf and edit the
>> original. Many LCD monitors aren't capable of running at resolutions
>> other than the one the default and I would think that the proper
>> resolution for a 19" LCD is 1280x1024

Michael Satterwhite:
> I can do that, but I've got the monitor manual in my hand, and it lists
> the following display modes for the Starlogic 19"
>
> Resolution	Horizontal Freq		Vertical Frequency
> 640x350		31.475			70.100
> 640x480		31.469			59.940
> 640x480		37.500			75.000
> 720x400		31.469			70.087
> 800x600		37.879			60.317
> 800x600		46.875			75.000
> 1024x768	48.363			60.004
> 1024x768	60.023			75.029
> 1280x1024	63.981			60.020
> 1280x1024	79.978			75.024

While it may work on those different modes, you'll find some will look
just awful.  It can't render text across fractions of screen pixels.
You need a direct 1:1 or other direct multiple of the screen resolution
versus video resolution.

I can see little point for using anything other than two or three
resolutions:  Full, normal resolution.  Then perhaps a half resolution
if you're trying to play some game or watch MPEGs on a low-spec PC.

--
Test running FC6 & FC5, and still using FC4.
I delete all private mail, unseen.  I read from the list.