Re: *ALMOST* longing for Windows stability

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 09:11 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> crystal ball cloudy - try again later
>> I like that.
>> Seriously, I was *HOPING* someone was going to jump in with a comment
>> like "That's a known bug ... just ?????? and it will go away." I'm
>> seldom that lucky, but you can never be sure.
>>
>>> in the meantime, perhaps you would want to quote relevant portions
>>> of /etc/X11/xorg.conf - the sections about Monitor, Device and Screen
>>> would probably be appropriate
>> Here we are:
>> Section "Monitor"
>>
>>  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
>>         Identifier   "Monitor0"
>>         VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
>>         ModelName    "19''"
>>         DisplaySize  340        270
>>  ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
>>         HorizSync    24.0 - 80.0
>>         VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
>>         Option      "dpms"
>> EndSection
> ----
> this should be OK...my sync rates are...
>
>         HorizSync    30.0 - 80.0
>         VertRefresh  55.0 - 75.0
> ----
>> Section "Device"
>>         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>>         Driver      "radeon"
>>         VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>>         BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc R200 BB [Radeon All in Wonder
>> 8500DV]"
>> EndSection
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>>         Identifier "Screen0"
>>         Device     "Videocard0"
>>         Monitor    "Monitor0"
>>         DefaultDepth     24
>>         SubSection "Display"
>>                 Viewport   0 0
>>                 Depth     16
>>                 Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
>>         EndSubSection
>>         SubSection "Display"
>>                 Viewport   0 0
>>                 Depth     24
>>                 Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
> ----
> this seems to be a problem for a 19" LCD... I have set only...
>
>                 Modes    "1280x1024"
> on this last line.
> ----
>>         EndSubSection
>> EndSection
>>
> ----
> perhaps just make a backup copy of /etc/X11/xorg.conf and edit the
> original. Many LCD monitors aren't capable of running at resolutions
> other than the one the default and I would think that the proper
> resolution for a 19" LCD is 1280x1024

I can do that, but I've got the monitor manual in my hand, and it lists
the following display modes for the Starlogic 19"

Resolution	Horizontal Freq		Vertical Frequency
640x350		31.475			70.100
640x480		31.469			59.940
640x480		37.500			75.000
720x400		31.469			70.087