Re: *ALMOST* longing for Windows stability

Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 21:36 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>> About an hour ago, I logged off my kde session. My LCD monitor
>> immediately went to a black screen - with no way of logging back in -
>> when the session ended.
>>
>> It took me 8 (eight) times going through a reboot process before I could
>> get FC5 to present me with a login screen. The first 7 times, I got
>> either a black screen or an "Out of Range" error. Finally, it presented
>> me with a login screen and I was able to get the system up.
>>
>> I *KNOW* this isn't typical ... if it were, no one on the face of the
>> planet would be running Fedora. Unfortunately, that doesn't make my life
>> any easier - it is happening here.
>>
>> There are some real experts here. I know, they've helped me out with
>> other problems. Does anyone know how to fix this? While a real fix is
>> what's needed, even a bypass - a way to get back to a login screen when
>> the system is acting up - would be a tremendous improvement.
> ----
> crystal ball cloudy - try again later

I like that.
Seriously, I was *HOPING* someone was going to jump in with a comment
like "That's a known bug ... just ?????? and it will go away." I'm
seldom that lucky, but you can never be sure.

> in the meantime, perhaps you would want to quote relevant portions
> of /etc/X11/xorg.conf - the sections about Monitor, Device and Screen
> would probably be appropriate

Here we are:
Section "Monitor"

 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "19''"
        DisplaySize  340        270
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        HorizSync    24.0 - 80.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "radeon"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc R200 BB [Radeon All in Wonder
8500DV]"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"