Trouble Adding Memory

I'm running Fedora Core 5.

I have a plain vanilla 2.8Ghz P4 Intel motherboard with 4 DIMM slots. I currently have 1 DIMM of 512M DDR 3200 memory. I purchased a second DIMM of the same 3200 memory hoping to upgrade the memory.

When I install the second DIMM, the BIOS properly recognizes it, however, FC5 won't boot properly. The boot time takes forever. The bootup is sitting in "Starting UDEV" for a very long time.

I believe the new memory DIMM is okay, I can use either memory DIMM properly, however, attempting to use both causes a problem.

I'm stumped as to what could possibly be wrong.

I don't use the stock FC5 kernel, but instead have compiled my own 2.6.18-1 kernel. I have the Memory Split option set to the default 3G/1G user/kernel split.

I don't know if this is the correct list to ask this question. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jim