Re: Trouble Adding Memory

On Sat, 2006-12- 09 at 10:38 -0500, Jim Duda wrote:
> I'm running Fedora Core 5.
>
> I have a plain vanilla 2.8Ghz P4 Intel motherboard with 4 DIMM slots.  I
> currently have 1 DIMM of 512M DDR 3200 memory.  I purchased a second
> DIMM of the same 3200 memory hoping to upgrade the memory.
>
> When I install the second DIMM, the BIOS properly recognizes it,
> however, FC5 won't boot properly.  The boot time takes forever.  The
> bootup is sitting in "Starting UDEV" for a very long time.
>
> I believe the new memory DIMM is okay, I can use either memory DIMM
> properly, however, attempting to use both causes a problem.
>
> I'm stumped as to what could possibly be wrong.
>
> I don't use the stock FC5 kernel, but instead have compiled my own
> 2.6.18-1 kernel.  I have the Memory Split option set to the default
> 3G/1G user/kernel split.
>
> I don't know if this is the correct list to ask this question.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions?

My machine just began showing that behavior last evening, and I haven't
touched the hardware configuration.

If I wait long enough (2+ minutes) the UDEV service officially "fails"
but the machine continues to boot w/o incident.

It very well may have been some update I inadvertently applied; I
haven't taken the time to research the issue thoroughly.

In short it may not have anything at all to do with your new memory.

David-Paul Niner